Thursday, March 4, 2021

9th - 10th Century Coptic Book

Last year, I decided to enter the East Kingdom Arts & Sciences Championship.

 

My book was based loosely on MS M.597 in the Morgan Collection. My full documentation can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nRpE90n7faMvjLjomjkHUMsb-d784Mh9mo0PJeTxbxE/edit

 

I was particularly proud of the papyrus book boards I made. Here are a few pictures of that process:

 

 

Spreading hide glue onto a sheet of papyrus.

Smoothing another sheet over the glue. Do this about sixty times to get..

...book boards!!

Boards after sewing holes were added.

Some de-lamination after drilling holes into the boards.

And here are pictures of the finished book:


Front cover with blindtooled decoration.

Back cover with the same decoration.

Bottom edge of the book.



Fore edge of the book.

Inside the front cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment