Thursday, October 18, 2018

Fencing, October 17, 2018

Last night was one of those nights where you hope that your suckatude is leading to a breakthrough.  I was trying to focus on the things from last week: low stance, small parries, keeping from squaring up.  Thinking while fighting makes you slow.  And that is what I was facing.  So it was a bad night of fencing. 

However, at the end of the night I faced Grim and his long sword.  I hate facing long swords.  I constantly feel out of measure against them.  And I tend to get thuggy (hitting too hard) in my attempts at aggression (you have to work on getting inside the long sword's range to even have a chance at a point).  I was a bit thuggy, but I got several good hits on Grim.  I think I gave as good as I got.  So that felt good.

Also, after talking to Rob a bit about exercise  outside of Fencing, I took a short interval run this afternoon.  When I wanted to quit, I told myself, "You are doing this to be better at fencing." 

I don't have any illusions of ever being a great fencer, but sometimes I see myself being a good fencer.  And even bad practices are fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment