Thursday, January 30, 2020

A few books

I made a few books.  They are practice books in several ways.  I need to work on my sawing skills so both of these books have hand sawed boards.  I need to work on my blind tooling so both of these books are blind tooled.  And I always need to work on my cover work.

So!  Two books:


 Small leather bound book. Signatures are sewn on cords.  Birch plywood book boards.  Blind tooled decorations.  I messed up my measurements so the diamonds are wonky.  Measure twice, tool once, people! 
Small leather bound book.  Signatures sewn on cords.  Birch plywood book boards.  Blind tooled decorations.  Measurements worked out better on this one.
Things I learned from these two books:

I think I want to make some templates for several basic tooling patterns so that the wonky diamond problem doesn't happen again.  I also want to get some basic leather stamps for more variety (currently I am using a stylus for lines and a nail head for circles). 

I need to figure out a better wood source.  These boards splintered a lot while sawing.  Also, better wood working.  I need to start beveling my edges.

I didn't make headbands on these books.  I should have taken the time to do it because headbands add a finished touch to these books.  Remember to do this, silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment