Monday, September 19, 2016

Two practices and a LARP

I am a bit worn down so this is late.

LARP -

ToV a weekend ago (or so) and I got in one very good fight.  I felt decent about my fighting and I saw at least one fighter step up his game when he saw me in the line a second time.  I got a little worn out, but in general was fine after a minute or two.  It didn't help I was running on almost no sleep but it felt good to be out fighting.  I enjoy fighting and being a crunchy, though I don't do it as much since I tend to be booked with RP through most of the game.   I did get a very nice complement from R about how my fighting has gotten better, so that was nice. 

I had two practices last week, Bergental and Carolingia.  I enjoy how small Bergental is and every time I fight L, I feel like I learn so much....now if I could just retain all of that...

I did get super frustrated toward the end of practice since I couldn't get my off-hand parries to work right (still, always).   I have been told by people who know that fencing (like many things) often involves three steps forward and two steps back.  Those two steps back are frustrating.

Carolingia practice is big and full of very skilled people.  I feel a little out of place there and a bit invisible.  There are certainly several very friendly fighters, but in general, the feeling I get is that I am a bit too new/unskilled to be of interest to most of the top tier fighters.  Which is fine and understandable.  I had a few good fights, including one where I actually felt like I "won" the fight, parrying and following the line and the like.   I did have one overly instructive partner, which, I mean, what can you do?  I wish it hadn't felt so mansplainy (he admitted to have started fencing a year ago) but there were a few nice little tips in there so I nodded and thanked him.

Again, I got frustrated with my off hand and parries.  I am going to figure this out.  What I really need is time with someone like L who will both spar and teach me.  This slapdash "hey, we are sparring and I have advice" way of learning isn't working well for me.  I don't know where to find that...well, I do - I need to become someone's cadet - but I don't know how that works or who might be willing to take me on.

So, slowly creeping toward some goals.  Slowly.  Painfully.

Kings and Queens is going to hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment