Thursday, September 22, 2016

Wednesday Night Practice, Sept 21

It was my mom's birthday yesterday.  Happy Birthday, Mom (not that she, or anyone else, will see that...)!!

Last night's practice was light on the practice.  First, the Key Masters were late so practice started a late.  Then it just took us a bit to get into the fencing groove.  Some days are just like that.

I did spend a little time doing foot work drills with J and K.  Which was good because, as I have said before, my foot work is dire.   I then got a few passes in with J.  We are still mostly the same fencer, but I can tell we both are getting better (I think she started out better so I think she will always be a bit better than me). 

Then the important part happened.  The Baroness noticed that I was setting up way too close when I was fighting with J.  I told her I was doing this so that I could have the strong part of my blade engaged.  This is not what I should be doing.  She took time to talk me through the thought process in regards to distance and measure.  I am just going to spill it all out here in the blog (screw narrative) so I don't forget it.

There are three general distances: Out of measure (far enough way that neither sword touches), measure (swords can touch but just barely), and close measure (swords cross and, when extended, the tip touches your opponent).   The Baroness notes that most SCA fences set up in Close Measure, which is not good.  You should try to set up in measure so that you are not in danger for the moment the game starts.   The goal is to keep measure until you are ready to close the distance.  It is important to learn your own distances.  Knowing when you are in measure and close measure is very important.  That is something that comes with time and practice.   We did a very good drill where we basically did foot work with swords and the goal was to follow her footwork but also work my way into a close enough measure that a lunge (or extension) would touch her chest.  It was a pretty amazing drill.

The Baroness also imparted some wisdom on reading your opponent and what their measure might be.  She said you should look at the height of your opponent, the length of their arms and the length of their swords.  All of these things can tell you how that opponent is going to try to attack you.  If they are tall with a long sword, they are going to use that reach to take you out pretty quickly while staying out of (your) measure.  So your goal is to get inside their reach as soon as you can.  If you are against someone shorter or with a short blade, they are going to try to get within your reach and your goal is to keep your distance and use that against them.  If you are of about the same height and your weapons match, it is going to be a lot of parries and the like, since neither of you can gain the distance advantage. 

This all made me realize (again...still) that I need a teacher, a mentor.  I need to find someone who will take me under their wing and help me drill for twenty minutes at practice.  I feel like it is a lot to ask of a random fencer at practice, but if I had a teacher, they would commit to me and I would commit to them and I would have someone to give me the lessons I need.  It would keep me honest with my foot work (which, have I mentioned, is dire) and keep me focused in the right direction, learning in a logical order.

Anyway, I feel that maybe I might be ready for that next step.  Now to just figure out how to take that step.

No comments:

Post a Comment